NEPS-sc6 t272011_g13: course content

Hello!
We have a question regarding the variables in NEPS -SC6. For variables such as t272011_g13w1 and t272000_g13, could you explain us the classification system you used? Because there are plenty of missing values for variable „t279040: reasons of training“, we would like to use the abovementioned variables to determine whether the courses/trainings are work-related or not. Please let us know if it’s possible.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Chen

Hello Chen,

first of all, id like to point out a survey paper on non-formal education in the NEPS: https://www.lifbi.de/Portals/2/NEPS%20Survey%20Papers/NEPS-Survey-Paper_CI.pdf

In this paper, you find detailed information on the structure of the non-formal education and training data and guidance on data preparation steps. Especially in regard to creating an indicator on „reasons for training“. So this might be very helpful for you.

Unfortunately i cannot offer a detailed answer on your question regarding the classification system. According to the SC6 Datamanual P71/72: „Information on the content of the courses is available as open answers and in coded form using a classification of the Federal Employment Agency (Kompetenzkatalog der Bundesagentur für Arbeit).“

The open answers however are not available in the standard download suf version.

Let us know, if you have more querstions or need any further advice.

best,
Aleander Helbig

Thanks Mr. Helbig, the survey paper is very helpful!

We are interested in all professional-related training and education after the entrance to the labor market. And I read in the survey paper that „Users can also use multiple imputation to infer the missing information. … For illustration, see the application in Ehlert (2017) and Ebner and Ehlert (2018).“ Is it possible to have access to their codes or impution strategies?

Thank you very much!
Best regards,
Chen

Hello Chen,

i forwarded your request to Martin Ehlert. I will let you know when i get an answer.

best,
Alexander Helbig

Hello Chen,

Martin Ehlert kindly asks you to read the papers Ehlert (2017) and Ebner and Ehlert (2018) and directly contact him with regard to stata code and further questions. His email adress is: martin.ehlert@wzb.eu

best,
Alexander Helbig

Hello Alexander,

Thank you very much! I will contact him soon.

Best regards,
Chen