SC2: Early reading competence (grade 2), how to calculate WLE?

Dear all,

We are writing a paper on teacher effects using the SC2, grades 1 and 2. We found a measurement of „Early reading competence“ for grade2 (rxg2_sc3 ELFE text comprehension: Sum); however WLE are not provided in the data set.

We would like to ask if there is any coding (publicly available) that we could follow to calculate the WLE for „Early reading competency“?

Best regards,
Daniela

Dear Daniela,

early reading comeptence is measured using the ELFE test by Lenhard and colleagues. The test authors recommend a sum scoring for their test. We followed the scoring procedure by the authors and provide sum scores in the variable rxg2_sc3. Thus, there are no WLEs from a scaling model. If you prefer WLEs, you’d need to fit an IRT model to the item scores and estimate WLEs yourself. However, this approach would no correspond to the procedure recommended in the test manual.

Best regards,
Timo

Dear Timo,

Thank you very much. Could you please let me know if the ELFE version used was ELFE 1-6 (2006)? or ELFEII (2017)? I am guessing the first one because of the year. I would like to introduce the reference in my paper.

Thank you!
Daniela

It was the first version ELFE 1-6.

Best regards,
Timo

1 „Gefällt mir“