SC2 Missing Parental Information Wave 4

Dear Sir or Madam,

We would like to work with SC2 and need information on, for example, the social welfare status of the parents. To be more precise, we are talking about the variables p731901, p731951 and p731902. A closer look at the missings reveals that for these variables in wave 4 there are sometimes 10 times as many missings or, in the case of variable p731901, almost all answers are missing. From wave 5 onwards, the number of missings seems to return to normal.
I have not found any indications in the codebook of, for example, a change in filters or similar, so my question here would be: Was something fundamentally changed exclusively for wave 4, did I miss something or was there a recoding?

Thank you very much for your time.

Dear Sebastian,

I can’t tell you why but for wave 4 those questions have only been asked to respondents that have never participated in the study before, socalled „Erstteilnehmer“. This explains why there are so many missings. Unfortunately this filtering took place in a variable that is not released and therefore also is not part of the documentation.
In wave 5 this filtering has been obviously removed and all participants were asked the above questions.
As there is no updated information I would suppose to think about using the wave 1-3 information for those observations with missing information in wave 4.

Hope that helps?

Best reagards,
Benno Schönberger

Dear Benno,

thank you so much for your quick response! This answers my question - Especially as it reassures me that we didn’t miss anything obvious.

Kind regards
Sebastian